Wednesday, June 2

The Day I Met With Raquela And Figured Out That I No Longer Have Any Days Off Work

No more days off.

It's a good thing, yes.

I work tomorrow and tomorrow's tomorrow. First at Fair Oaks, then at Old Soul, then Fair Oaks, Old Soul, Oaks, Soul, Oaks, Soul... I have no right to complain. My body thinks that I do, but my body doesn't really get to say what's up, these days. I wanted to keep this blog going, even though I'm now employed, because this is about more than just finding a job. This is about the moments when everything changes,seven months was how terribly easy it was. I was basically lazy all day, while writing (two novels, a short story or two, and half a novella) and making lattes and sandwiches for strangers. Home-life was consistent. The only thing to complain about was the decreasing amount of money in my bank account and the increasing credit card debt. It was like New Orleans not being evacuated until the hurricane had already passed. I saw this coming, didn't I? I predicted it. I only never thought it would really happen... when life is new again and nothing is for certain. One thing about working for my grandmother for

So here I am. Working every day. It's nothing new. I'd been doing forty hours a week at a repetitious dead-end result of a thirty-minute commute, five days a week, for seven months. All that's different now is the environment. For those seven months, I did do a lot of writing, but I wasn't being productive about it. I hadn't really set any goals for myself, other than, "Keep writing." I was taking advantage of an easy job for my grandmother that paid just enough to afford rent, while it was taking advantage of me. But I let it. I liked the consistent paychecks. I liked the time to write. Then Mike moved in, things got weird, and I got fired. Just like that.

That's gone, now.

I knew it wasn't going to be that easy, not forever. But who can ever predict when forever's going to end? I now have two completely new jobs. I am meeting buckets and buckets of brand new strangers. I am making two entirely new plot-lines in my autobiography. All of a sudden, my regularly scheduled programs are missing and there all these new shows to start watching. So far I'm liking the Old Soul show the best. It's more my speed. But Fair Oaks is good for switching to when there's a commercial on.

Still looking for more channels...

I know it's made my real life a lot different, too. A new schedule promotes a sudden shift in routine when it comes to bed-times and such. It gives me more or less time with AJ, depending on our schedules. For example: today she had the day off, but I worked from 7:00 to 2:00 and then arrived home around 6:00 after meeting with Doug and Raquella and the make-up artist, Rosa at Old Soul. I think a good change of pace can do wonders for any relationship, put it to a proper test, make sure things stay productive, we keep each other moving. Anyway, the point is now there's some much needed, busier, variety to life that I think we both really needed. This is a change that will improve the both of us.

The music video meeting was interesting. Raquela's a recording artist who's down-and-out luck of late has been given a boost of momentum by some opportunity with Capp Records. She's been doing this stuff for a long time and it's interesting to meet her while she's experiencing the same fresh start wake-up call that I am. Anyhow, that's a project I'm trying to keep afloat, if for no other reason than to say that I did it (or at least tried my best).

I know I'll improve as a person because I'm never going to let this happen again. I will work seven days a week, fifty-two weeks a year, for three years straight--until I get rid of this debt and I start taking chunks out of that student loan. In the meantime, I keep writing. I keep making music videos and short films, and perhaps that will lead somewhere, perhaps I'll still be at Fair Oaks and Old Soul three years from now, or maybe not. Either way, I've been cut from the family once again, as I was when I left for Sonoma State, as it felt when I lived in the loft on McBride with Bryce Cook and worked at Aromas. It's part of the adventure of life. Being blatantly cradled by my grandmother was an unhealthy beginning to a life after college. It was not what I should have been doing with all this time,.

So there you have it. Why I'll keep writing...

Writing like this!

I don't want to have the rug taken out from under me again. I need to buckle down. And I will. In my own way, step-by-step, I'll get it done. Stuff is happening, or I'll make it happen. There's no world out there but the one I create for myself.

So goes the life of Christopher Fryer. Me. Just me. For my own personal entertainment.

Now if I can just figure out how we're going to pay rent...

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment