Thursday, May 5

The Day Jenny Bought A Ticket To Korea

I wake up this morning to Jenny's news that she bought a plane ticket to Korea and she's leaving in September with a return-ticket scheduled for March. It's startling news, the kind that's too heavy to contemplate all at once, yet simultaneously expected and unsurprising. Now it's real.

I'm at home when Mary calls to offer me a tutoring gig for her son who is just finishing 6th grade and has fallen a bit behind. His name is Garrett. We talk briefly on the phone and she asks me how much I would be charging and I have no idea, so we e-mail each other later and I suggest 30 per hour. If it works out just right, I'll finish my volunteer gig with PS7 by school's-end in early June, then transfer my free time over to Garrett. Mary wants a year-long commitment, which I can totally offer because I'll be going to Sac State for just as long, so that would work out rather well.

I'm wondering if I could just become a professional tutor for the next year. 

With Jenny leaving in September, someone will need to rent her room, and I'm thinking about it because the rent would be cheaper and I'd live with roommates I'd actually hang out with and my lease at this place ends in August, anyway, so the shackles will be removed. It's a high possibility at this point.

I talked to my dad, who sprained his ankle and is bed-ridden for the day, and he told me that his new girlfriend, Blair, will be heading up to Seattle in September for grad school. Weird little coincidence that both of our girlfriends are leaving in September. "That's the Fryer luck," my dad said. He's aiming to update the comics website I made for him, which is good, and I finally told him about my Sac State / Peace Corps plan, which he was excited about. "Why don't you call me and tell me these things?" he asked, to which I had no good response. I really am lame about keeping my family informed about my life unless they outright ask me. It's also my Grandma Fryer's birthday, so I called her and left her a little message. 

Spent all yesterday living the life I've dreamed of: waking up, writing, eating breakfast at Crepeville, writing, drinking coffee, going home, writing, biking to Oak Park for tutoring, getting dinner at Mr. Pickles on the way home, writing, getting a visit from Jenny, writing and spending the night with Jenny. 

Now I'm going to work early to grab lunch and write before clocking on. Not sure what's going on later tonight, but it's Thursday and it's summer and things are evolving and changing around me and I'm okay with that, encouraging that, and whatever may be will be. 

- Left to Fry

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousMay 06, 2011

    "Tis better to have loved and lost / Than never to have loved at all." - Tennyson

    “If you love something let it go free. If it doesn't come back, you never had it. If it comes back, love it forever.” - Horton

    ...Fuck it, just go with her to Korea.

    ReplyDelete