Thursday, August 4

The Day I Walked Home Barefoot

I woke up from my after-work nap to the soft sound of Jenny knocking on the door, minutes before my alarm was scheduled to go off, and in a panic of half-asleep nonsense, I honestly thought I'd slept through my entire opening shift. Thankfully that wasn't the case. We only had a little while to hang out before she went off to sell her mirror to a craigslist shopper and I sent out Bonfire invites. Iven came down around 7 and we got stoned on the windowsill and he reminded me about this song I really liked that led to the discovery of the band AWOLNATION. Down below, Drew was leaving the house and he said he was going across the street to play pool and clear his mind. We joined him. Iven kicked our asses. Drew's going through the awkward break-up whiplash and seems more than a little confused, though I remind him that he has no need to continue feeding a smothered fire. At 8, Iven and I went back to the house to start setting up the yard. Lights, movie, fire. We have pre-party s'mores and wait for guests to arrive. Over time the guest list adds up to: Julianne, Murphy, Kelly, Shaun, Daniel, Alan, Rose, Patsy (Katrina), Brady, Ana, Luke, Michelle, Samir, Sarah, Jenn, Nick, Jenny and Megan. So I got to meet Megan, who is Jenny's best friend from South Korea, and she'll be staying with her parents in Folsom for the next three weeks. Smart, quick-witted and observant, Megan seems like a great friend. This was Shaun's last bonfire and it was sad to say goodbye, but it wasn't our last goodbye because there's plans for a dinner at Daniel's on Friday. Otherwise, it was a pretty normal bonfire. Some new faces. No noise complaints. Kelly brought me the H Letham album on her flash-drive. We almost ran out of beer. We rambled off lists of our favorite Disney films. We used cookies to make s'mores. We shut down the bonfire around midnight so that Jenny and I could drive Megan back to Folsom, where we all saw the same shooting star and then Jenny and I grabbed In N' Out on the way home. 


The next morning it was breakfast at Lucky's, followed by the purchase of two tickets to the AWOLNATION show at Ace of Spades next Wednesday, paired with the unexpected and tragic news that my ex-ex-girlfriend's brother died on Monday, mixed with conversations about the MHSOAC, water usage in Sacramento, horoscopes, public transportation in South Korea, exchange rates and plans to meet in Italy. Jenny went to work around two and I walked home barefoot. I burnt the bottoms of my feet on the asphalt during that walk home. Ouch. Met up with Brady and Ana and Ana borrowed the shower because theirs is clogged and in the meantime Brady and I played Left 4 Dead. When they left, Tessa was walking by, so we said hello. Then Kristal walked by, so I showed her the backyard where the bonfires happen and she said with her 8 to 5 job at the MHSOAC, it's tough to stay up late, but will try to make it to one of them with her boyfriend soon. She left. Not long afterward, Paul and David arrived and we sat around in my room talking about Paul's bad luck. Poor guy. He's in one of those situations where no advice can really help and the best I can offer is an ear to listen. Alone, I listened to AWOLNATION and the Crash Kings and the Airborne Toxic Event, then turned on The Incredibles, curled up and took a long nap. 

It's still hard to wrap my head around the news of Trevor's death. He was three or four years younger. Smart kid, especially when it came to programming. I don't know what happened. It didn't seem right to ask. His memorial will be in Auburn sometime this month and I'll probably try to make it up there. It bothers me that I can't think of any more specific memories of Trevor besides playing DDR one time in the living room of their mom's house in Red Bluff. Snippets and snapshots. It has been a long time since I saw the kid. Trevor, you'll be missed. 

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment