Friday, December 31

The Day The Year Ended With Blood, Paychecks And A Cup Of Noodles

She's been hobbling around the coffee-shop all morning, muttering, "I'm fine," beneath her breath. 

When I got to work at eight, Kirsten told me she'd had an accident. She'd dropped a knife. Like anyone would, she flinched--and she flinched right into the blade, which sank into her ankle. This was not a small wound. She didn't have the proper bandages to stop the blood. 

A lot of people out and about on this New Years Eve, and with that has come a steady level of busy stress. Of course knowing Kirsten's wincing with each step makes it hard to focus on customer service. Doesn't help that the new driver, Tyler, was screwing up the deliveries all morning and almost forgot Spin Burger's buns, again. That and an aura of concern as Tim and Jason are about to come back from their vacations to an Old Soul that kinda fell into complete disarray while they were away. Feels like the parents coming home after a wild house party.

At some point during the morning I look over at her at the espresso machine and glance down at her bloodied pant-leg. The cement floor beneath her feet is splashed with blood, which looks like mud when mixed with coffee-grounds and dust. I nonchalantly step behind her and place a hand on her back and whisper, "You really need to stop now."

"Why?" she asks, giving me that I Can Do It look with her eyes. 

"No, no," I say. "You're bleeding."

"What?" She looks down. "OH MY FUCK!" 

This happens to also be pay day, so here comes Hank to collect his check. He seems good. Different. He recognizes the disaster happening behind the counter and volunteers to work the register while Kirsten tries to take care of herself in the bathroom. Lucky even steps away from the roaster to help make a few drinks when the rushes get crazy. So I got my last chance to work with the soon-to-be officer, and he shook my hand and told me to never stop chasing my dreams, never. 

Later, during a lull, Hank and another fella with a medical background take a look at Kirsten's wound and determine that she does, in fact, need to go to the hospital. She freaks out--her panic about California's healthcare bubbling over--but ultimately leaves with Hank to get stitches and crutches. 


It was a shame for her year to end like that.

Last night was good, though. Kirsten ended up coming along with Shaun and I to the Pinback show @ Harlow's and the whole plan turned out better than I'd expected. Even ran into Lindol taking notes for an article he'll post soon about the show on Sac Press. He kept complimenting the very first thing I ever wrote for Sac Press, back before I took it seriously, and he encouraged me to keep doing that. I will.

Next year. 

By the time work ended today, I really had no urge to do anything for New Years. I'd had touch-and-go plans to see Favors @ Luigi's, but passed on those as the evening moved on. Had a good talk with my dad about the future. Found out he tripped over a cat in the bathroom and broke a rib against the sink four weeks ago, and is doing much better now. Then I made up a Cup of Noodles and called it a night. 

2011 will be my year and my year alone. 

I can't wait.

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment