Wednesday, April 20

The Day Jenny And I Ate Too Much Good Sushi

Another good start to the day with Jenny by my side. A ride back to my house. A morning spent lounging about before work. Some additional scenes in the screenplay. Some brainstorming for the soon-to-begin Coffee-Shop Crime Noir. This and that. I'm feeling pretty good about everything and trying to make order of the next couple months. What to do about car insurance. What to do about student loans. What to do now, what to do later. I get suited up for work and head out a bit early for lunch before starting my shift. 

Later, Joe cuts his fingertips on some kitchen utensil and handles the pain rather well, but lets his emotions cast out a series of angry texts, a frustrated rant or two, and unwarranted anger toward the gay guys on laptops. I bandage him up and wrap the bandages in masking-tape. I let him rant. I am disgusted by his attitude and behavior, but I let him vent. I shrug his aura aside and realize, with some sadness, that I don't like Joe very much. It's hard, too, knowing the recent ups-and-downs that Jessica's had with him, hearing her side first, getting this skewered image. I don't like alpha males. I'm not confrontational. I hate intolerance and I hate unchecked aggression. For a few hours, I hated Joe. Sympathized with him, for the injury, but distanced myself from him for the same reason. I suppose the excess of raunchy sexual humor should've been a big clue that Joe and I weren't compatible friends, and I hate to think that we're not still friends, but something changed in his demeanor. 

Or maybe something's just changed in me.

Maybe I'm looking at people differently now.

Now, now that I know who I am. 

After work it was still 4/20 and there was plenty of time to celebrate with Jenny. We ate too much sushi at Sapporo Grill, then chatted with Jenn to the soundtrack of two new records in the living room before calling it a night and sleeping off our celebratory high. Tomorrow we're off to Oakland for the Railroad Revival Tour, then it's a night in San Francisco followed by our unplanned adventure in the city and an unhurried return to Sacramento. 

"I'm trying to find holes in your logic because I don't know what to say."
- Jenny, in response to a compliment.

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment