Thursday, April 28

The Day I Made May Goals

On the day my student loan payments go back into play, I snail-mail my request for an additional 12-month deferment. They require "economic hardship" applicants to make less than 1,250 bucks a month, which I qualify for, both gladly and tragically. Which reminds me, I need to apply for poor-man's health insurance. 

Which leads me to my MAY GOAL LIST

1. Save money
2. Get Macbook hard-drive
3. Finish a short story (or two)
4. Gain teeth confidence
5. Get more tutoring experience
6. Read a book
7. Apply for Medicaid
8. Start a garden

I realized that if I saved all of my tips, I'd have an average 400 dollars of additional income each month. As of now, that money's all been spent on food and spurts of entertainment. Another goal of mine next month is to save at least 200 of that cash. Maybe I won't end up scraping the bottom of my bank account and emptying my savings this time. Maybe. No, damnit, YES.

Two things I've stopped doing: driving and buying weed. 

It's a start.

I've also started carrying around this little moleskin date-planner that I won't be using to plan dates, but rather to keep notes throughout the day, for my little observations and such. Here's what I wrote about today:

- Jessica is moving to Midtown this weekend, near Hot Italian, actually.
- Diana has a stalker.
- Meredith said Tim said there's been money missing from the closing-shift close-outs the past few nights, which I haven't been working, thankfully, and it's probably just another example of Old Soul's lackluster record keeping.
- Joe broke up with Jessica.
- Paul brought me Apple operating software.
- Saw Jenn (as in, old employee) at Rubicon.
- Drew and Amber were also at Rubicon, and Amber was very loud.

Jenny and I slept in a blanket fort. She's amazing.

My bike has a flat tire. Found a rusty staple in the wheel. FUCKING STAPLES! It's no big deal. I'll bring the bike over to John's shop before I go to work tomorrow. Wah, wah, wah. Speaking of them, they painted the building a neutral tree-brown color that looks nice. I still miss the painting of that woman with the sunglasses, which was erased a few months back, but maybe they'll add some artistic flair of their own. Fingers crossed. We need to drown this city in art. 

And fuck the Kings. JUST GO ALREADY! 

I hate over-publicized bullshit. See also: politics. 

That aside, Nick (Jenn's boyfriend, not Jenn my old employee, but Jenny's roommate, and not the waitress, Jennifer, from last night at the Rubicon) got a job at the State Capitol. Congratulations.

Jackie wants to organize a giant flash-mob water fight at McKinley Park sometime this May, and about this I am totally excited.


Regarding the Peace Corps, Sac State and all that jazz... I'm looking around for more serious tutoring jobs or teacher-training positions. Craigslist hasn't been the most useful resource. I sent out an application for a paid-tutoring position with Sacramento Children's Home. We'll see. I know there are a handful of teachers who pass through Old Soul daily, so I'll bump elbows with them a little more and see what's up on the down low. No one can turn down an unpaid volunteer tutor or teaching assistant. Otherwise, I should take Paul's advice and relax a little, not worry too much. Things are good and they're set to stay that way, so...

Yeah. Everything's fine.

- Left to Fry

2 comments:

  1. Paul AlexanderApril 29, 2011

    Yeah man, just fucking relax already! You're bumming everyone out. You've got a wonderful summer ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI- if you plan on deferring your student loans during your Peace Corps service, that falls under "economic hardship." My loans are through federal Direct Loans, and they have a maximum of 3 years that you can claim economic hardship. Since Peace Corps is 27 months, you pretty much need all 3 of those years for service. If you have a different federal lender than Direct Loans, you may want to check with them on their policy, but from what I have heard 3 years is the normal limit. When I couldn't afford the payments I put my loan into forbearance, which doesn't affect deferring for the Peace Corps at all.

    ReplyDelete