Thursday, April 14

The Day The Future Started To Make Sense

I spend dinner with my family at Hot Italian, tired but still interested in catching up, talking about my sister, talking about her birthday next month, about my plans for Sac State, about which language course I should take, about Jenny, about Jenny's plans, about switching the Acura for the Cherokee, about the new ID's, about organ donors and poor eyesight, about childbirth and people from my past and how good the pizza is and if we should get an additional appetizer or not. 

I spend work making coffee and doing menial tasks and listening on random to Admiral Fallow, Cherry Ghost, Arctic Monkeys, TV On The Radio, Bell X1, City and Colour, Gold Soap, the Mountain Goats and Sun Kil Moon. 

I tell a few more people about the Bonfire Mondays.

I RSVP for Old Soul's education-themed community meeting on Saturday evening where they're going to watch "Waiting For Superman" and serve beer and wine and appetizers. Should be interesting. I'd like to hear about the problems that I'll have to try and fix one day and opinions about how to do that. 

Jenny comes back Saturday, but might miss the event. 

It feels good to miss her and it feels good to be missed. 

I get things cleared up via e-mails with staff and teachers in the graduate students department and find out which 3 or 4 English classes I need to take this fall as prerequisites for the graduate courses. I also have to take a foreign language course, and my mind went first to French, but my mom and grandma convinced me that Spanish would be best because I already have experience with the language and should think about teaching in the United States when I come back from the Peace Corps, where Spanish is more prevalent. 

What's good is knowing I don't have to worry about any tests. What's good is knowing that I'm basically in, just with a slight delay, which may affect my goal to leave for Wherever next summer, or maybe not, and maybe I'll just work my ass off to make sure it works out smoothly, maybe I won't have a choice. Either way, I'm here to stay in Sacramento for another year and that, itself, is comforting to know. Now that I know this is my home for another four or five seasons, it's time to really start to squeeze this town for all it's worth. All the museums and restaurants and bars and events and people and experiences. I'm curious about keeping my job at Old Soul. I know I don't want to. The only other thing I'd want to do, I suppose, is aim for a writing job with a local publication. Why the hell not? I'm curious about financial aid and old loans and working full-time. I imagine it will all make more sense when it gets closer. Until then, Sac State is just this far-off shape on the horizon that I can't quite make out, but whereas before it could've been a mirage, now it's obvious that it is, in fact, reality. That, too, is good to know. 

Back in the present, it's time to meet part of Jenny's family on Sunday. 

And next week we're off to the Railroad Revival Tour.

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment