Thursday, May 27

The Day I Started Panicking Because I Got Hired By Old Soul And I Had No Idea How To Fit Two Jobs Together

There are two kinds of panic that come with unemployment, I've discovered. The first kind of panic comes from not having a job and from freaking out about how to pay your bills. The next kind of panic comes when all those resumes and applications you filled out start getting attention and all those managers start calling you back at the same time. Now you panic because you have all the power in the world to decide where your life will take you. Who do you call back? Whose offer do you accept?

In this case, I just got hired by Old Soul. Training starts on Sunday.

But I'm already working for Fair Oaks Coffee Hose & Deli, with my next shift scheduled for 1:30pm next Tuesday (and also next Friday). And I like the guys I worked with today--Eric and Tyler--and it was starting to feel good to make new friends again.

My calendar is a busy place.

Also, I've got that interview with Bevinco tomorrow morning. Now if that goes well, that's a part-time job that pays 13 bucks an hour. I think, in my perfect world, I'd be able to have the Bevinco job and the Old Soul job. So, in that case, I don't think it's a bad move to accept the Old Soul position. I only hope I'll be able to fit everything together, but as of now it feels like I've got a bunch of triangle-shaped blocks and square-shaped holes to put them in. I'm panicking, now, because each decision I make will determine the rest of my life. Plus I feel like a jerk for ditching Fair Oaks. Not to mention I'm supposed to have my interview with unemployment on Wednesday during hours I'm scheduled to work at Old Soul. Honestly, considering I'm becoming very much not unemployed (can you be over-employed?), I won't cry if that doesn't work out. Still, I was hoping to keep all the schedule conflicts to a minimum.

I got a second call from Dominic, the guy from that labor union place, but when I listened to his voicemail message for the third time, I realized that he'd said, "This is Dominic from American Income." So I did a little searching and found out that American Income is a life insurance company, and they've got connections to possible scams. No thanks, Scamosaurus.

No yellow shirt for me...

I'm going to call the EDD right now and try to reschedule my interview.

Then tonight I'm going to see about a canvassing job.

My grandmother is moving to Truckee this weekend. So much for helping her build a fence... I asked her if she'd be able to loan me some money, and she said she would, and I know she would, but I want to make sure I know how much trouble I'm really in before I give her an amount. I'm thinking I'll need three-hundred bucks. Tomorrow I'm DEFINITELY selling some DVD's. I don't have a choice anymore. Deep breaths, deep breaths.

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment