Friday, May 21

The Day I Got A Job At Fair Oaks Coffeehouse And Deli While Applying For A Job At Garcia's

I have no other goal but to find a job.

This is not true. I also worry about paying the bills. How long will this really last? I know that I still have to eat. My other goals, however, feel like command-prompts from a videogame. When they come up, I'll just Press O and they'll get done, like it's God of War III. In the meantime, I've never had to deal with something like unemployment, so I'm giving this problem all my attention (sorry AJ, for being a little distant these past days). Unemployment is my goddamn Final Boss, and one of us is going down--and it's not going to be me, motherfucker.

Which button restarts?

So while I was waiting to get an application from Liz at Garcia's Mexican Restaurant (a place I once frequented with my family when I lived in Sacramento during my youth in another life), I happened to get a call from Michelle, the manager of the coffee-shop in Fair Oaks. Turns out my interview went really well. I have training on Monday from 9 to noon.

It's funny, but the first thing I thought wasn't "Hell yeah!" but instead went something like: "How am I going to fit that in before my two o'clock at the Olive Garden to meet with the manager and hand in a resume?"

You're next, O.G.

My life is the job search.

"But what about what you're doing right now, Chris?" you might ask. This is part of it, however. This is my venting space. Staying calm is half the battle. Sure I was in a really shitty mood today, but that's what happens. The predator hunting its prey doesn't wonder about trivial things--it focuses on the prize and it lunges. Now every day feels like a hundred days. I'm reaching the point of this experience where I'm going to start lying and cheating my way into a job (To my Prospective Employer: Just kidding!). After that, it's off to organized crime for me, I'm afraid. So I need to write about it because that's what I do. And when I'm done with this, I'll check craigslist for another job. I'm still on the hunt, after all. Time is ticking.

Don't get me wrong: I'm happy about the new job. Change is good. I just know it's not enough.

With that, I sign out.

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment