Sunday, May 23

The Day AJ And I Had A Talk About The Future And I Watch Half A Season of Cake Boss

I was lazy today.

I don't know why, exactly, but I know it had to do with my belief that no managers would be working on a Saturday and so it would be pointless to drop off any resumes without a chance to greet the manager. It's sort of been my goal at each place. Whenever the manager isn't around, I've got the same amount of chance at making an impression as I do when I send out a resume to a craigslist posting--and craigslist doesn't cost me gas. So today I called it a craigslist day. There was a posting for a coffee-shop hiring downtown, so I applied. A receptionist position in Citrus Heights, as well. Otherwise I took Banjo for a walk and watched half a season of Cake Boss on Netflix.

It makes me wish I'd been a cake designer.

AJ and I had a big talk today. It's been in the works, so it's good that it happened. Where are we going? What is the plan? I have two hundred dollars left in my account and a handful of upcoming bills to worry about, and plans to put a bit of that on the credit card. Thank God I've got a part-time job set up, otherwise I'd be twice as worried. But I don't act worried. I try my best not to be. I've gotten the same feeling from her. So neither of us have been upfront about the massive panic going on in our private heads. Now we know.

I should be aiming for higher than a coffee-shop, especially if I want to do better than I was before, commuting to Auburn every day. She's worried because I immensely hated my last job (for its dull routine, snail-slow hours, and lack of fulfillment) and will be putting myself right back into that situation a few months down the line if I go back to coffee. To be honest, I wasn't thinking about that at all. I only know that my chance of getting a job ASAP is to do the only thing I know how to do that people will pay me money for. On the side, I've got my freelancing dream taking route, but I know that's nothing to be setting off fireworks for. I wanted to make it clear to her that my other stuff is back-burner compared to getting a job. It was this conversation that has motivated me to go to the Scandinavian furniture store tomorrow and ask about my resume. That, and the West Coast Coffee gig, seem like the best options right now.


- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment