Friday, August 13

The Day I Started Riding A Bike To Work From My Parked Car In East Sacramento And Paid More Of My Deposit After Meeting A Friendly Security Guard

A list of things tonight before I fall asleep:

1. I appreciate Obama's view of the Manhattan Mosque. Read about it here. For someone who wouldn't be surprised to find out that 9/11 was a big conspiracy anyway, I think it's ridiculous that we're going to prevent American Muslims from organizing near "Ground Zero" simply because of a handful of radical nut-jobs and their misguided cry for attention. It's been almost a whole decade since 9/11. Grow up, New York.

2. Can we just please, please, please stop putting restrictions on marriage from now on? If Prop 8 doesn't stay overturned, I'm going to lose a lot of respect for this country.

3. I can't believe I bought another Big Chicken Sandwich from Jack in the Box. It was worse the second time. The good thing is that all this bad food is really inspiring me to go full-force with the healthy-stuff-only motto I plan to embrace when I move to Midtown.

4. Speaking of Midtown... I paid more of my deposit today. $460 to be exact. That leaves me with $370 to pay for first month's rent (unless I move in early, in which case it's about fourteen bucks per day). The amount is less than I expected, which is wonderful, and with my next check I should even have a little bit left over. Taking care of this also put me in a ridiculously good mood. Progress feels great. Paul seems pretty sure that I'll be able to move in on the 27th. That's only two weeks away.

5. I want to thank the parking lot guard at the Wells Fargo on 30th and Capitol because I asked him to please watch over my bike while I was in the bank, and the guy totally stood right next to it for ten minutes. Thank you.

6. Oh, right, so I borrowed a bike from Rhonda and Bryant. Drove it to East Sacramento, parked, and then rode it to work today just so I wouldn't have to pay for parking. Heck, I even got some exercise out of it. Introduced me to the bicyclist's point of view of Sacramento. I liked it. Pretty decently spaced bike lanes. Easy to navigate the grid. Of course I've heard horror stories of people getting hit, but I like to think I'm a fairly safe rider. When I get the chance, I'll be buying my own bike and I'll outfit it accordingly to make sure I don't become a grim statistic. Got lost on my way back from work, but it all played out smoothly. Whenever you get lost, you just have to remember the alphabet.

7. That's pretty much it for now.

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment