Wednesday, August 18

The Day I Stayed Up Late For No Reason Thinking About Sac Press And My Relationship With My Bosses And The Construction In The Alley

I'm actually really tired. Some part of me simply won't allow it, however.

But why not? The sooner I go to sleep, the sooner it becomes tomorrow, and the closer I'll be to moving to Midtown. This feels worse than any impatience I felt toward the end of a school year. Time has never moved so slowly. Each day feels like ten. Each hour, a miracle if it passes quicker than a lifetime. Somehow they do come to an end, as this one is now, and yet I still encourage myself to stay up late. Who knows why... I guess it's just years of habit. I guess it's because I get to sleep in, anyway, the bonus of closing shifts. Still, that only makes me think of how stress-free it will be to work at Old Soul when I live right down the alley. This twenty-five minute drive (nearly an hour, in total, each day) is really starting to annoy me. It's not the drive itself, I suppose--since I actually enjoy driving, to be honest--but the cost of gas, the pain of parking, the joylessness of dealing with crappy city drivers. I can't wait to transfer transportation rights to a bike and my two feet. Simplify. I think about all this with such excitement, and yet I still stay up late and I delay this exciting future from arriving. Some things never change, I guess. Maybe spending eight hours standing behind a counter leaves me with a little bit of pent-up energy, fueled by an iced mocha, a cup of black tea, and two pumpkin cream cheese muffins.

I started a second blog, made just for little reviews of stuff. I figured there'd been too many times while writing this blog that I wanted to talk about a movie or a book I'd read, but decided to keep this more about my personal experiences in reality. Anyway, that's been fun to write on, too.

Getting more excited about the internship at Sac Press. Can't believe it's actually going to happen. I wonder how it's going to play out? Will I like it? Will it be too much? Impeccable timing, I suppose, since I'll be a Midtowner by next Thursday. I'll be in the heart of the city. I'll find a bike of my own and ride around town looking for stories to write. I've got a plan to ask every customer about something they'd want to read an article about, and get inside scoop about local issues. I think if Tim and Jay can give me a couple of opening shifts (next month, hopefully), it'll give me more availability to help at Sac Press. I know it'll all work out. I'll make sure it works. It's going to be great.

I think Tim is starting to appreciate me more, which is nice. It's always been hard for me to connect to my bosses in past jobs, and this is the first time I feel like it's something I should work on. I may not be getting paid very much at all, but considering the changes I've been making and the simplicity I'm seeking, I don't imagine that as being a problem right now. I can at least give it a half-year or so before looking around. I need to focus on getting rid of some of that debt, but I also want to get myself balanced again. Switching jobs is not something I want to go through right now. That said, I like the Old Soul company and I genuinely love working at the warehouse location. Great customers, great coffee, great food, and a constant sense of excitement as each day feels a little different than the one before. There is drama. There is frustration. But that's normal. I mention all of this only because I've been paying attention to how Tim acts around me, and I think he's starting to get used to me. The same goes for Jason, as well, who I also think is coming to recognize me as a member of the Old Soul family. So, that's cool. 

12 bucks in tips. Not bad for a slow night. 

The construction in the alley might've been part of the reason. Can't wait until that's done.

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment