Friday, February 4

The Day I Renewed My License And Saw Shaun's Band Play At Old Ironsides

With Stella, my car, in such bad shape recently, I wasn't so hot on the idea of driving to the DMV to renew my license this morning. But I had to. My ID expires on my birthday next weekend. I found the willpower to leave the house around 10:00 for a mocha from Old Soul, then let Stella warm up for a while in the parking lot before starting my trek toward the far end of Broadway. For whatever reason, Stella drove really well--nary a shake or tremble or unusual noise, save for the usual suspects, and I re-evaluated my plan to cancel car insurance. 

An hour and one squinty-eyed photograph later, I left the DMV.

I've added "Explore the Paris underground" to my bucket list.

Got a text from Tessa regarding pseudo-plans to hang out this weekend, but my weekend got a little crowded so I'm thinking we could meet up on Tuesday night. Also trying to find a good time to hang out with Jenny again, probably this Sunday, and on Monday night I think I'll go watch more LOST with Katie. Tomorrow I'm still supposed to call Jessica after work, which I'm looking forward to.

Met a guy named Jake at Old Soul when I stopped by to get lunch. We talked about the dating scene of Sacramento. Saw Kirsten on her way to Weatherstone where she had plans to teach some guy how to knit. Said hello to Brandon, Nic, Drew, Ed, Meredith, Jessica and Shaun before heading back to my room to listen to new music and write a little bit in my robot story. 

The robot story is currently at 46 pages and 20,900 words.

Kirsten came over around 5, I think, and we tried to watch Children Of Men but spent most of the afternoon fooling around instead. Not complaining. Next we walked over to R15 for dinner and drinks. I had a salmon BLT with two PBR's and Kirsten nibbled on some Thai salad with a vodka-tonic chaser. Afterward, we started up a bonfire in the backyard of my house and waited for Lance to show up with his friends to smoke a little grass before Shaun's show.



Lance is an interesting guy. Not quite Asperger's, but close. Not good with social cues. Kind of a dunce. Anyway, he came with Loren and another guy and we sat around the fire pit and smoked a joint and talked about Old Soul and shooting guns and proper customer service. Later, at Old Ironsides, our little group met up with Kirsten's friend, Ruben, and we went inside to watch the rest of the second band's set.



Been noticing, from the terribly passionate sex to the depth of our strange friendship, that Kirsten and I are growing surprisingly close. We're not dating--we're both clear on that--but like Kirsten said, "You're better than a boyfriend." As outlets for our otherwise pent-up passions, we help each other find comfort in an uncompromisingly difficult world, and everyone needs a shoulder to lean on. It's basically a completely open relationship, minus the contract, minus the expectations.

It's a bizarre thing that we've created, but it's also beautiful.

Then H. Letham came on stage.






I thought it was a great show, as usual. Later I'd find out that Shaun was rather disappointed with the whole evening, which is a shame, but he has a much different perspective than I do. Everyone else was pretty impressed. Kirsten and I might be Shaun's biggest fans.

After the show the group split apart and Ruben gave Kirsten and I a ride back to my place. They chatted on the porch while I ran over to Old Soul to share a bowl with Jack, the baker, and snag a fresh-baked chocolate chip cookie. When I got back, Ruben was gone and Kirsten was already half-naked under the covers in my bed.

Etcetera, etcetera.

Overall, a pretty damn good Sunday (Friday).

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment