Thursday, February 24

The Day I Saw The Fryer Side Of My Family

My red beard was a big hit at the Fryer House today. For one because it's red, but also because it's more of a beard than my dad has ever been able to grow. It was strange giving him pointers. I told him it would probably help him get laid if he could grow one. 

Last night I closed at Old Soul. 

Chris stopped by to work on an essay and we made plans to go see Battle LA when it comes out on the 14th. My mission now is to convince Jenny to go, too, because she's not big on sci-fi stuff. 

Kirsten's date in San Francisco went well, as I knew it would, and she was texting me throughout the night wondering if it was bad to put out on the first date. "Don't do it if you don't want him to know that you like him," I said, but I think she does, and so I think she did. This is good for her. Good timing, too. 

Jenny came by for a minute after work to see the ridiculous (but awesome) outfit I'd bought before work that I'll be wearing to her Russian Winter Ball tomorrow night. It's a Cosby sweater underneath a soft blue two-button overcoat. We took a few quick hits from a joint to balance out my closing shift fervor and then I hopped into the Acura for my trip to Concord. 

It was a nice drive. Used cruise control. Stopped in Benicia to refill on calories. Made it to Bryce's house sometime after 11:00. 

My old college roommate is now fully married and living in a townhouse with hardwood floors, two cats, an office, flat-screen televisions and two stories. We stayed up and disposed of a body, killed zombies, watched bits of Blazing Saddles, ate not-delivery pizza, went on police chases through Liberty City and caught up on current affairs. Bryce is two semesters into graduate school, the poor bastard, and it was just like old times seeing him balance real life and school work. I'm glad he stayed up to spend time with me, despite his responsibilities, because it had been far too long since we got to kill zombies together (and this time with melee weapons!). Like everyone else I know, he's still trying to figure out what to make of this life, and I get the feeling he's on a good track, even if it gets a little stressful.

(Hi Bryce)

It was weird, the next day, to see my Grandma Fryer for the first time in god-knows how long and have a catch-up conversation in the kitchen while Mickey Avalon's "My Dick" played from Uncle Matt's bedroom in the back of the house. Talk about awkward. I'd never blabbered so much in my life just to cover up Avalon's dirty metaphors. Told her about the Peace Corps plan. She approved. She now has a very fluffy dog named Toby. 

My dad is doing good, which is good. He has a cat named Booger. 

We three went out to Best Buy to go Christmas/Birthday shopping and I walked away with a brand new digital camera, a Nikon Coolpix L110, which I am totally in love with. I suck at receiving gifts, however, and the whole time I just felt like asking for a DVD instead. But when grandmas are involved, you kind of have to expect to get a little spoiled. 

Afterward it was dinner with Dad, Grandma, Uncle Matt and his wife, Kathy, at Harry's Hofbrau, a childhood staple of mine, and I stuffed myself on turkey, potatoes and gravy before my dad took me over to the bar for a birthday drink. Jack and coke for me, Jack for him, and I told him a little bit about Jenny. The bartender told a funny joke and gave me a free beer mug. 
A guy goes to the store and picks up a frozen dinner, a six pack of beer and a candy bar. The woman who rings him up says, "Ah. You must be a bachelor." He replies, "I am. How did you know?" And she says, "Because you're ugly." 
Then I finally got to give my dad and grandma their Christmas presents. Dad got his short-story collection of anti-Christmas tales and a book about Pixar, which he oggled over with boyish admiration. For grandma I went with the tried-and-true and bought her a Wizard of Oz book. Coffee-table stuff, really, but the photos and illustrations are phenomenal. Everyone was happy. 

By text message, Katie and I decided not to stop being friends, but to cease the sleeping together bit, which is better for both of us.

Here are the first official photos taken with the new camera: 















- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment