Friday, March 25

The Day I Felt Fully Compelled To Teach

I go from waking up restless to burning away hours creating an internet presence, like some frontiersman plotting out territory in the new world, and this gets tiresome and I wish I were writing more fiction, so I pack up my stuff and leave for Old Soul to do some writing with the additional stimulus, a breakfast sandwich and a mocha, which helps, and I do some writing, and at around noon I have to head back to my house and get ready for tutoring, which leads me to Oak Park to the middle-school classroom where Mrs. Coates pairs me up with three other students to work on English homework (this assignment is about space junk) and meanwhile it's more of a relaxed day, so the kids come up with a spirited chant to use during next week's assembly, and at two o'clock we all head over to the auditorium where the teachers pass out honorable awards to the students with the highest achievements from last trimester, and after that I go back home and start downloading "Waiting For Superman" while heading back to Old Soul to get my check and Shaun tells me he's moving to Colorado this summer and since I've made plans for dinner with Jenny I have to run and deposit my check before walking down to the Rubicon and I find out that Foster The People are playing at Harlow's in June and the Rubicon is too full, so Jenny picks me up and we settle on The Press, which seats us at the community table and treats us to gnocchi, sea bass, octopus salad, red peppers stuffed with goat-cheese and a delicious banana desert, which leads us back to my room where we watch "Waiting For Superman" through the projector on my windowshade and get all worked up about the failures of public education and I realize how much I want to be a teacher and we fall asleep around midnight squeezed together on my bed after confessing that we're not interested in seeing other people, that we're fixed on each other, and I feel like I fumbled my words a little but I hope she understood that I feel the same way, that we're full of potential and passion and life is funny and what we have is so great right now and has the potential to keep getting better, and I don't know how the Peace Corps is going to affect this, and maybe it won't, but that's not for another year, theoretically, so why bother worrying about it now? 

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment