Saturday, July 16

The Day Shaun Left Old Soul

This is the way Shaun wants to be remembered:


One classy sonofabitch, retired from his position at Old Soul and bound for Colorado in August. A mover and a shaker. A talented musician. A romantic level-headed lady-charmer. Enthusiastic, energetic, lovable and wise. Mister Amerishauno. He could pull the best espresso shots known to Old Soul. He was clean and efficient and a hard-worker. Our talks ranged from past loves to new bands to writing fiction to fishing off the coast of Alaska. His art will be missed, even though he won't call it art. My little barista brother, off to start a new adventure, sure to create a circle of friends out there as easily as he created one in Sacramento. We spent our last shift listening to his favorite bands while customers wished him luck and gave him hugs and said goodbye, sad to see him go, happy for the opportunity that awaits him. 

Change happens often in the coffee-culture. It's always bittersweet to see a good friend leave. I wish him the best of luck and hope Colorado treats him well. 

As our final shift together ended, it looked like a bonfire reunion in the coffee-shop. Times like these make me feel like part of a television show. We had Kelly chatting with Jenny. Kasha flirting with Drew. Lilly saying goodbye to Shaun. With my paycheck, I took a walk to the ATM with my camera only to find out the ATM was out of service. Oh well. Starving, Jenny and I have lunch at Crepeville, meet Rose and her boyfriend conundrum, do a little writing before heading to Fremont Park and taking a nap on the grass. We texted Jessica to see what she was up to and found out she was hosting a barbecue, which I'd apparently forgotten about. How convenient. With new friends Greg, Jordan, Alexis and Dan, we drank beer and shared a joint and chowed on hamburgers, corn and baked beans with cupcakes for desert. Reggae music in the background. Nice, breezy warm afternoon. A quick game of dominoes. As the group grew with new arrivals, Jenny and I slipped away to spend the evening at her place.

My mom and sister want to have lunch next Sunday. Jenny leaves for Montana this week. Lance is having a barbecue on Sunday and there's plans to go see Harry Potter at the drive-in that night. Gotta schedule another dentist appointment. Have to evaluate my decision to get Tooth 13 pulled. Found out orientation happens a week before school starts (on August 29) and I just told Jason about my upcoming schedule conflicts, which aren't unreasonable. I'm pretty sure about the idea of finding an apartment with Iven, thinking I could probably afford to move out of here in late September. 

Summer's halfway over. 

When did that happen?


































- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment