Thursday, July 14

The Day After The TFA Meeting

...and I haven't seen the school since the day I helped proctor the STAR tests, after which I pretty much just stopped showing up because the kids' school year was done and it wasn't like I was getting paid, anyway, so of course there's a little bit of guilt and regret because I know I could've tried harder, wish I'd been involved for the whole school year and not just the last few months, and I won't say it wasn't a good experience for me but I'm sure I could've offered more for the kids, but hey, at least I'm wearing a helmet now...

...halfway through the bonfire, Jenny's asleep on the bedroom floor...

...familiar faces approach the fence and it's Brady and Anna who live next door in the pink apartment building and I invite them to the bonfire and they bring weed and Anna works at Gunther's and Brady applied for a new job but failed the pee-test, he says, passing me the pipe...

...breakfast at Lucky's...

...letter in the mail from Medi-Cal and I've been denied...

...this morning Meredith says she has good news, she's fallen in love with a new man and next month she's moving to Peru with him, for a month, but maybe more, she shrugs, who knows...

...Tessa and Marissa back from their trip to the City to see Picasso; Shaun with his friends; Brendan with his friends; Michelle with her rolled cigarette; Iven and I talking about maybe getting an apartment together; Juj struggling with bachelorette party drama; Jessica texting, falling backward in her chair; Kelly talking about canoes; Drew and Kasha disappearing for a while; John and Amy with delicious cookies; Daniel wearing a t-shirt with a flaming shopping-cart; Alan happy that I played Mumford & Sons; Jenny and I drunkenly making sense of our long-distance future...

...found out Brendan was at the Railroad Revival Tour...

...on our way out we find a note from Michelle: thank you, you guys rock, so somehow she escaped during the early morning, forgetting her blanket...

...have the pork sandwich at Old Soul before the Stand Up meeting, wearing my Sacramento Has Soul shirt to get past the RSVP list, standing in the back of the Guild Theatre while Teach For America alumni share their teaching experiences, Mayor Kevin Johnson begs community leaders to help bring TFA to Sacramento, Wendy Kobb talks about founding TFA and how it helps, I sign up to volunteer as a tutor at Old Soul's adopted elementary school and feel pretty good about that...

...glad to know I still want to be a teacher...

...anxious to get started...

...fucking dentist...


- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment