Sunday, July 31

The Day I Saw Kelly's New Home

Thankfully, Jenny will be back from Montana on Tuesday.

Yesterday Lance celebrated a new investment toward his company, the details of which he said could not leave the room, and he bought us all dinner and wine at 58 Degrees. Us being his brother, some of his friends from the barbecue Jenny and I went to, Nick and Jeremiah and Drew. I ate tiny morsels of the best steak I've had in a long time. Popcorn. Poached peaches. Lots of wine. A really nice thing for Lance to do and something I'll remember forever.

So long as this blog remains online.


Jeremiah was hired by Old Soul. Training starts Monday.

It's gotten harder to talk to Jenny on the phone in anticipation of her soon being back in my arms. I've never been much of a phone person, anyhow. I think I'll prefer Skyping when she's in Korea. Probably cheaper, too. But it's always good to hear her voice and her laugh. She told me about her bad sunburn and the barbecue at a beautiful house and shooting guns and emotional breakthroughs she was having, as well as the discovery of her new job in Korea which will be much better than the original. 

Kelly invited me over to see her new place after work. She unpacked and rearranged furniture while I edited my book in the kitchen and ate grapes while we listened to the Pandora station spawned from the song "Changing" by Airborne Toxic Event. Her house has three chickens. One of them was sitting on a fresh egg when we arrived. The foliage had grown over the roof of the house and it sometimes felt like visiting The Shire. Kelly technically lives in what qualifies as the "pool house," were the pool not covered by a wooden dance-floor. Can't say I'm not jealous of all the fruit-bearing trees and the fireplace and the secret-garden feeling. Because I am. We spent some time outside, stoned, dwelling on atoms and the philosophy of communism. We involved a small praying mantis in an impromptu photo-shoot. By the time Kelly drops me off at home, I'm within 20 pages of an official first draft. 


She had these boxes around her new place that I found fascinating. I could see faces in the boxes and took a few photos of the ones that really stood out. 


The Dog Pile


The Chief


The State Worker


The Sushi Chef


The Choir Girl


The Conjoined Twins

So I finished the evening with dinner at Hot Italian with Daniel where I ordered some crazy seafood pizza and we split the bill and left a 10 dollar tip and talked about the break-up from Annie, the state of Old Soul, the look of Lucky's new place and open apartments around the area. I had no idea that Hot Italian had a back patio. Back home, before Daniel bikes away, he reminds me that Shaun's show is tomorrow night. I've got to film some of it for Jenny to see.

August. You motherfucker. 

How'd you get here so fast?

The Third Act of Summer begins.

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment