Sunday, November 7

The Day A New Baker Girl Was Trained At Old Soul While The Rainy Weather Brought In Big Crowds And Stress

Just like last Sunday, today was a clusterfuck. It started with the time-change, which I thought my phone would handle on its own during the night. When I woke at 5:20am, I thought it was time to get ready for work, and so I did, and when I showed up at 5:45 to start brewing coffee, Jack told me I was an hour early. Went home, slept an extra half hour, and came back at the right time for a second take. 

Positive Thing #1: Sierra, the new baker girl, is adorable. Not sure why she's here or where she came from, but it's always nice to see a new face, especially a cute one. 

The rainy weather seemed to slow the morning down, but it inspired a hefty brunch-rush that kept Kirsten and I from keeping up with chores, which meant the place was a mess behind the scenes. I was having trouble pulling good espresso shots all morning because the humidity fucks with the grind, so half the time I was adjusting for a decent pull while keeping up with a steady row of drink orders. Something about working with Kirsten makes the shift feel chaotic, since part of my role is to show her the ropes while respecting her as an experienced barista. Sunday, which is usually my Friday, is also the day I tend to have the least enthusiasm for a morning spent behind the counter, so that makes it tough to stay cheery. Even worse, today wasn't my Friday, but became my Wednesday due to scheduling changes. I gained an hour and lost a weekend.

Positive Thing #2: The Raiders beat the Chiefs. 

After work I wanted nothing more than to smoke a bowl. Laundry was on the agenda, at first, but the exhaustion of the morning convinced me to put it off for another day or two. I took a walk down to Chipotle for dinner, but otherwise spent the afternoon being lazy in my room. Wrote a little, read some "Under The Dome," and got myself excited about the new Call of Duty game. Also want to try and see 127 Hours sometime soon. Made plans with Sean to go to Hidden Falls sometime this week. Still hoping Aly wants to go see that play with me. Today might have sucked, but I know things will feel better tomorrow. 

Tessa came in today with what appeared to be her boyfriend. Not the most encouraging sight to see on an already dismal day, but at least it answered some questions and put my mind straight. The bead store girl is no longer on my menu. 

People Updates: Hank says he did really well on his law enforcement exam, said it was "the easiest test he's ever taken," and actually had to ask the prompter to explain parts of the test where the grammar was so bad that the questions made no sense. Kirsten was bit by her sister's dog yesterday and seems to be recovering alright, while also starting to show signs of another cold. She is one of those people who is constantly falling apart, though rarely from her own doing. Shaun's backpacking at Emigrant Gap. Aly's out of town. Meredith's doing good, waiting for test results. Sean's equally excited about Black Ops. Drew, my upstairs neighbor, is done with his volunteer teaching gig. AJ called to ask me what my schedule is this week so we might go take care of separating our joint AT&T account. 

Positive Thing #3: I'm covering the King's game on the 17th for Sac Press. Free tickets, press-pass treatment, and a mark on the calendar to look forward to. 

Speaking of Sac Press, I still haven't heard back from the people at Sacramento Bass Trackers. I'm supposed to write a profile about this fishing club, but... That's not always easy to do when people are hard to get in touch with. I'm actually looking forward to this one, thinking, mostly, that I might get invited to go out fishing with these folks. I can't even remember the last time I went fishing...

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment