Monday, September 20

The Day I Interviewed Brian Malow About Being A Science Comedian And Enjoyed A Walk Through Downtown Before Sean Came Over And I Got Too Drunk And Puked

Not all days can be good days. Newton's Law of Motion says so.

Today was above-average good, which I'll take. I'll just come right out and say that today was the first day I puked in my new bathroom, so that's kind of a big deal as far as memories go.

My morning began with the usual pre-interview butterflies that weren't put to rest until my one o'clock phone chat with Brian Malow. I watched a lot of his stuff online, did some decent research, and wrote out my questions.

For whatever reason, I felt like being in Capitol Park when I made the call. It was nice. Brian was easy to talk to. A self-dubbed "Science Comic," which is pretty self-explanatory. He's found a respectable niche in the comedy world and he's doing a show this Friday that I'll miss unless Jenn switches me shifts.

Speaking of work: I went in this morning for breakfast, sensed an awkward vibe, and then came back again later (to talk to Jenn) and I found out Old Soul was given a yellow Conditional Notice from the health department. I'll be the first to admit that the place is dirty. Apparently the inspector found a dead mouse. Not surprising. We work out of a warehouse in an alley. Half the plugs don't work. I marvel at the fact that we have running water.

Not sure what's to come of the Conditional status. I heard that means we have six days to shape up.

My other work at Sac Press is moving steadily along. Colleen had nice things to say about the Mex 200 article, and was pleased with my progress with the interviewing. I spent about an hour writing up a piece about Brian Malow (which is being edited right now). Then I left, walked home, and fell in love with the subtle bustle of Downtown. It's never overwhelming. It's never boring (see: too safe). I love the tall buildings, the trees, and the varied architecture. For the first time I walked through Cesar Chavez Park, saw the fountain there, and zig-zagged my way back toward Grocery Outlet.

I've been listening a lot to They Might Be Giant's recent album, "Here Comes Science." I'll be writing a review for it soon.

Then Sean came over as the sun began to set. We bought and ate Chipotle and hunted down a liquor store and then drank too much before aimlessly wandering Sacramento looking for a good bar within walking distance. Sean is difficult to please after coming from the party-heavy cities of Southern California, and so we came back to my house and I threw up. Sean went home. I passed out. Note to self: alcohol is evil.

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment