Sunday, September 5

The Day Meredith Burned Sage In My Room And I Discovered Dan Auerbach

Dan Auerbach is awesome. His song, "Goin' Home," which was on the Up In The Air soundtrack, still makes me feel all emotional inside whenever I hear it. Right now I'm listening to his album Keep It Hid, which I never actually listened to all the way through. Very good stuff. I'd put it on the same playlist as The Black Keys. 

Meredith came over and burned sage in my room. She was the first girl to see my room in its official near-finished state. Smells good in here now. Feels blessed. You gotta love Meredith. She's pretty much the closest thing to an angel I've ever come across. I hope to have a bonfire party soon that gets her and a few of the other Old Soul faces into a more real-world scenario. 

I saw Chris at Grocery Outlet. He was buying two packs of gum while I went for bread and beer. He's the boyfriend of orange-haired Crystal, and the both of them are frequent Old Soulers. Good people. Fun. I always like when they come in. 

Jenn opened with me today. She basically hates working there, which is too bad. In my opinion, the loose make-shift-ness of Old Soul is part of its charm. You do your best to stay on the good side of the boss and cope with unexpected changes and put on a smile because the customer base is fantastic and the coffee is good and you get to listen to your own music. You might get flustered when it gets busy at lunch and the grill is over-crowded and the drinks are lining up, but whatever. It's a coffeeshop. Chill out. Not to say that Jenn can't be a great worker. She just isn't bonding well with the glue and duct-tape support that holds the business together. I love it. It's even better now that I live a hundred steps away.

Opening has been fun. I'm getting better at learning people's names. Alvaro & Monica, Edwina, Brooks, Susan (single-shot vanilla latte), Katheryn & Richard, Jean, Dave, Andre... A few of the regulars I've gotten down. Then there's Chelsea from earlier this afternoon and her newfound passion for Chuck Palahniuk. There's Tessa (who I also saw at Grocery Outlet today). Gabby, John & Amy, Kevin, Tyler the yoga guy, Rachel, and a couple others I'm sure. I'm taking a card out of Meredith's book and trying to make these people my new family. I already feel like I'm starting to belong. 

Sean's coming to visit again tomorrow. I like the company. I'm also looking forward to the next two days as time to step back and think about everything. How things are going. They seem well. I'm stepping into my journalist shoes rather well, in my opinion, having done two phone-interviews over the weekend to get information about the "Taste of History" event I'm writing a preview-piece about. It's due Wednesday. I think Colleen is going to be impressed. I'm also in charge of the "Capitol Events," which is a three-times-a-week posting about upcoming things happening around Sacramento. Neat stuff. For example: I knew about TheCall's big shin-dig before anyone else, and wrote a blurb about it. So life is going well right now. I've got my minimum wage job. I've got my room in Midtown. I'm taking steps toward financial stability... Now I just need to get some laundry soap so that I can do laundry.

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment