Sunday, September 19

The Day I Interviewed The Woman From The Old City Cemetary About The Lantern Tours And Wrote An Article About Mex 200

That title about sums it up. Here's the article I wrote.

Today I met Lynda Walls. Her voice, at least. I might get to meet her for real on Tuesday when I go take pictures of the cemetery. I imagine she's not quite a grandmother, but charming in the same way, with short brown hair with slivers of gray, with green-rimmed glasses, a pink blouse.

Yesterday was the first time someone ever said to me, "And this is off the record..."

And they meant it.

I also have my first MEDIA ACCESS badge, thanks to my time at the Mex 200 event. Colleen basically tossed me in without a life preserver on this one. I'm not complaining--it's done. It was, also, a really great experience and a nice way to get my feet wet in this journalism pool. With my badge and my camera, I spent about eight hours in that event. I watched every stage show. I talked to most of the vendors. I bought a beer and three tacos. I took 500 pictures. But I had no idea what I was supposed to do. Talk to people, get opinions, get quotations. Soak it in.

What was stressful, I guess, was having to write the coverage article so quickly afterward.

Like I said, this was a great experience. My first article was a piece of cake compared to this one. Even Julie Ann's story was easy to figure out. This, though... I only hope I made more positive steps than negative, but I guess we'll see from Colleen's reaction.

Very glad it's my Friday.

Tomorrow's not so bad: a phone interview with Brian Malow at noon, then time at the Sac Press office from 1:00 to 3:00, after which Sean's planning on coming by.

- Left to Fry

Here's four of my favorite photos from the event:

No comments:

Post a Comment