Sunday, September 12

The Day I Bought A New Pillow And Thought About The Girl From My Junior High, Last Night's Shooting And All The Work I'm Doing For Sac Press

I thought I'd be in the mood to write more.

Instead, I just want to mention a few things:

1. A girl from my junior high came wandering into Old Soul the other day. Aly Kronick. I recognized her with ease, which was surprising, and I even knew her name. She currently lives at home in Carmichael with her parents after graduating from Berkely with an Anthropology Degree. Now she's looking for a job and a place to live on her own. The both of us, distanced by about nine years of lifetime, brought back together for a moment to realize that we were pretty much in the same place. College graduates picking up lackluster employment to make a living in an overwhelming currency-based society that offers no easy answers. It's an adventure. It's a nightmare. I don't know if I'll see her again--she commutes to Midtown occasionally to get away from her parents--but the moment was good and it made me realize how normal this situation is, how everyone I grew up with is trying to figure themselves out, trying to become real people. Crazy, this thing called life.

2. My internship at Sac Press is the most exciting thing going on right now. I've done a handful of telephone interviews, written two articles (and seen how intense the editing process can be) and driven down Del Paso to take photos of a woman who runs a catering business and community donation programs. There's hint of attending a Kings game with a press pass. There's the Capitol Events posting that I do three times a week. I've already learned a lot about journalism from Brandon's edits of my "Taste of History" article and I think I'll evolve rather well through this internship. Looking forward to wherever this leads me, since it seems like Old Soul is turning into a doomed Titanic.

3. There was a shooting last night. People died. Makes me glad that Sean and I didn't spend too much time out in the crowd during Second Saturday, since we could've just as well ended up outside Streets of London where the shooting happened. I don't know any details. I'm surprised my mom didn't hear about it and call checking on me. Is that a good thing?

4. Finally bought a new pillow, and a new pair of shoes (YES!), and some plastic organizer thing for my socks and pants in the closet. Things are coming together nicely. Also got laundry soap and dryer sheets, so tomorrow I might do laundry at City Suds for the first time. Should be fun.

Okay. Done.

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment