Tuesday, September 14

The Day I Did Laundry At City Suds For The First Time And Bumped Into Lance At La Petit Paris And My Knee Started Hurting

It'll be three weeks on Thursday.

Still hasn't fully sunk in that this is my real home. This is my real room. I come to this each night and sleep in this bed, but it still feels like a dream. That'll wear off,  I guess. Maybe. I don't know--living in Midtown is sort of an odd thing all the time. Being surrounded by strangers. Like I said to Sean, living in Midtown is like being in an Indie Movie. There's depth everywhere you look, but not all that much going on, and yet the soundtrack is perfect and the casting is fantastic and you keep watching because even though it's gritty, even though it's rough, it's endearing and it's wonderful.

I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. Got plans to attend my first Intern Meeting at Sac Press around two o'clock. Got plans to go to Folsom Lake with Sean, maybe. Seems like a busy day. 

Did my laundry for the first time in Midtown this morning. Walked two blocks with two weeks' worth of clothes in a sack thrown over my back, then spent a random amount of quarters washing them before tossing them into a giant dryer for a half hour and taking a stroll over to La Petit Paris. Happened to see Lance there and we talked for a while after he recommended I try the oatmeal with berries and cream. La Petit Paris is going out of business in two weeks. I knew this. I didn't want to pass up a chance to say that I'd been there. Also saw double-espresso Mark there, but didn't say hello. Last I heard, he was trying to get AJ to sleep with him now that she's single. You're not supposed to go after a guy's ex-girlfriend. There's a code against that. Anyhow, Lance left and I finished my oatmeal and gathered my clothes. The whole laundry-in-the-city was an uneventful, awkward scenario that I imagine will be played out many times in the future, so whatever. I'll get used to it. Like all the other idiosyncrasies of Sacramento life, it just takes time. 

Then I put in about ninety minutes at the intern station at Sac Press. Didn't really have anything to work on, so I sort of bummed about trying to seem important. It was alright. I like being there. I just wish I had some task to accomplish and didn't feel like a kid gone to the library to study who ends up surfing the internet instead. Tomorrow Colleen will be there and we'll work on my Julie Ann Twyman profile piece. Plus there's the meeting, so... Tomorrow should feel more important. 

My left knee hurts. Not all the time, but often, and generally when it's bent in a certain angle. Stairs are kind of tricky. It's been aching like this for a few days, I think, ever since the big toe of my left foot stopped aching. Weird. I know I'm not too young for a bad knee--it can happen to anyone--but I really don't want that to be part of this chapter of my life. I want full use of my body. I want my knee back.

Otherwise, I think I had a miniature cold over the weekend and I think it's pretty much gone. 

Also spent a moment writing, which was nice. I gotta keep writing.

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment