Sunday, September 26

The Day I Took Advantage Of What Felt Like The First Moment Of Peaceful Solitude That I've Had In Forever And Then Ruined It With A Nap

"Incense on the window-sill. The quiet afternoon of a mid-day street. Construction cones. Bustling leaves of curious trees. A distant car alarm, muted at the press of a button. A car passes, black, a blur, then it's gone. A silent Sacramento. The incense all the while aromatic."
I need to get out of coffee. 

I need to make journalism my full-time job, somehow. Maybe this internship will lead to that. My fingers are crossed. It's hard to stay consistently excited about the new responsibilities of the internship when I have a full-time job to balance it with. And a full-time job that isn't exactly the most stimulating, and is rather draining. I want to be interviewing and researching more. Focusing on each article, taking them seriously. I can't even imagine getting paid for working at Sac Press. I wonder how I can make that happen...

Craigslist's jobs offerings are depressing. 

I'm having a good time just sitting by my open window. It's not a busy street, but it's well-used by passing cars and pedestrians, which make for a constant background noise. I can hear car doors closing around the corner. The busier traffic on 16th. A train horn, like an elephant's trumpet, then again, closer. I hear the dull roll of interstate commuters, the bump and lyrics from a car stereo, the occasional buzz of a bug flying among the rustling leaves of the nearby trees. Snippets of conversation. The churning of bicycle gears as eco-friendly couples peddle past. Someone pushing an empty shopping cart. Someone talking on their phone.

I am avoiding but seriously contemplating a nap. Part of me wants to consciously enjoy every moment of this rather lazy Sunday evening. Smoke a little pot. Play a couple videogames. Watch a funny movie. I have stuff to do this week that adds a lot of weight to my shoulders that I feel like I'm allowed to ignore for at least one afternoon. Yesterday was fun with Sean at the lake and everything, but sometimes having a solid chunk of time completely to yourself is the best medicine you can ask for. I'm worried a nap will just cut into my enjoyment time, not that naps aren't inherently enjoyable... You see my dilemma. 

- Left to Fry

Update: Fell victim to nap. Overslept. Angry. Oh well....

I also stumbled onto this, and it deserves to be shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment