Friday, September 24

The Day The Checks Were Late And I Drew Blueprints For A Thing I'm Gonna Make And I Watched My First Vincent Price Movie After I Ate Watermelon At Work

Just back from watching House On Haunted Hill with Drew and his gang. It was nice. I would've stayed to watch Van Helsing but I really outta get to bed. That said, here's me staying up to write anyway.

For better or for worse, this blog is now encouraging me to do at least one exciting or memorable thing each day. And why not? I like writing short-stories from the memorable, pivotal moments of my life. Isn't this just one of those stories, but stretched out for a lifetime? Kind of hard to do exciting things when the closing shift at Old Soul is about as exciting as a paint-drying party. Still, I pay attention to the little things. Have little conversations. Make little connections. Because, as Tom Cruise says in Vanilla Sky, "The little things... There's nothing bigger, is there?"

Here are the rough plans of something I'm working on: 


Today I ate watermelon in the first time in forever. When's the last time you had watermelon? And this was good watermelon, too. Or maybe I just forgot how good it was. Can there be bad watermelon? I wasn't even scared of eating the seeds because Chuckie did that in Rugrats, and he turned out fine. It's not like I'm about to go out and just eat nothing but watermelon now. It was more like smelling a nice flower you hadn't smelled in a while, but you're okay with a long-distance relationship. It's not like I'm gonna go out and start a watermelon garden. Although I could. And that would be a fun project.

Maybe.

Everyone was freaking out today when I got to work because the paychecks hadn't shown up and Tim was out of town and no one could get a hold of Jill. By "no one" I mean Tammie. She was almost in tears because she had obligations to attend and without her check, said obligations would be rendered impossible. Anyhow, you always know it's pay day when you see six employees huddled together in one group. Otherwise we're rather solitary. I plugged in the computer and played Barret Strong's "Money (That's What I Want)" to put on a couple smiles and it worked. Because of that I think I had a good day, even though Old Soul only made 103 dollars tonight. I managed to have a few good positive interactions with people. Sometimes that's easier to do when you only get one person each hour to focus 100% of your attention on. 

The paychecks did eventually arrive. This story has a happy ending.

On the 27th, this will be my One Month landmark at the house on 17th. 

I just ranted for a while about MTV and I have no idea why, so I erased it and wrote this sentence instead.

John Hannon didn't answer when I called him this morning, this "Fisheries Biologist" from the Bureau of Reclamation. I got the impression from our first conversation that we're off on a bad foot. He said he was going to be "at the site" today, anyhow, which makes sense because the crews working on the project I'm writing an article about (this big gravel restoration thing that's helping the fish spawn). At first I was under the impression that people think reporters are pests, but really I'm feeling like most people are thrilled to have themselves talked about. Not this guy. 

Going to Nimbus Dam with Sean after work tomorrow, after stopping for a stash refill in Carmichael, after I try and get a hold of Hannon again. There's a fish hatchery out there. 

Oh, and I am totally in for getting some VIP treatment at this Vampire Ball, if I play this reporter bit right, and I think that makes me nervous because I think that'll get me laid by a creepy vampire chick. Someone's going to spike my cup of strawberry-flavored blood and I'm not going to know what's real. I'm concerned how to take the responsibility of reporting seriously in a swarm of techno-raving vampires. This is what I imagine. But then again it could end up like a Junior High dance, with awkward dudes in make-up on one side of the room and WOW-addicted socially-awkward high school girls on the other, staring at each other, flashing their fangs. Or whatever. I don't know. I'm going, and whatever happens, I'll make it sound like a scene out of Underworld before Kate Beckinsale started killing everyone.

Time for bed. I really hate waking up early, but at least I'll make more tips, and it's really not that bad. 

- Left to Fry

1 comment: