Friday, September 17

The Day I Finally Posted My Article About Julie Ann Twyman

First, here's this chalkboard by my desk. I'm about to change it to something else, so I wanted to capture it for all of eternity. Ladies and gentlemen: this is my official motto. 


This was the day I finally got Julie Ann Twyman's story on the internet. Being edited is quite the experience. It's nothing like my workshop classes in college. Back then, the edits were suggestions, whereas now they're very blatant decisions. Cut this. No hyphen here. No comma, use a dash. Can you get more information about this? Get a hold of this person? Expand on this a little? Yes I'm losing full ownership of something I wrote--it quickly becomes a collaborative effort with two editors giving their run through the article--and what I'm learning from this is not to give in to their decisions without debate, but to see how they work and try to figure out the formula. Once I know the formula, then I'm golden. But all new teachers have a certain pattern, and in a bit I'll figure this one out. I have to. If I don't make something happen for myself, no one's going to do it for me. Sac Press is the best thing that's ever happened to me. 

That said, it's a lot to add on my plate. Sure things have been simplified now that I'm single, but that doesn't make life any less occupied. I'm sure I'm probably mostly just stressing myself out for no reason, but I've been oddly anxious of late. Lots on my mind. Thinking about money, about relationships, about my job, about my friends... Glad my knee is better, glad my tooth stopped hurting... Plus, there's the fact that I've got actual homework again. I have assignments. These aren't things I can just procrastinate on and research with wikipedia, though. Those days are gone. And that's incredibly exciting. It's nice to have something keeping me busy. Something worth value. This has created a schedule with plenty of events to keep track of. Interviews to plan. Press passes to collect. 

Anyway, I promised Sean I'd play Modern Warfare at 10:00 and it's past that by 20 minutes.

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment