Thursday, October 14

The Day I Helped Move Half Of Old Soul From One Side Of The Warehouse To The Other So Renovations Could Begin


I went down the list of songs in my library and sought songs or bands that evoked powerful memories. These were the first twelve I found before I got tired and went to do something else. Guess I'm in the mood to stick with a musical theme. Sometimes real life just isn't that exciting. 


1. "Molly's Chambers" by Kings of Leon

I think of high school. I was dating Amy. I was driving a white Plymouth Neon. I had decent grades. My window was rolled down. It was a hot Auburn afternoon. I was going to the apartment behind The Greens where Amy lived with her mom and brother (temporarily). I heard the name of this band from Sean not long before making this mix-CD. Also on this mix: "Meat Puppets" by Nirvana. I'm picking her up for something. That's all I can remember.

2. "October Leaves" by The Good Life 

This makes me think of being with Ashley during the end of freshman year at Sonoma State. Not one memory in particular, but the month-long "thing" we had. It wasn't a relationship. It was a step higher than friendship. We slept together but only kissed on the lips, and barely. It was... Comfortable. It was subtle. And then it was over. 

3. "The Science of Selling Yourself Short" by Less Than Jake

For the first but not the last time in my life, I bought a CD solely because of the fact that a particular girl had talked about liking the band. If I liked the girl, I wanted to see what kind of music she listened to, to see what I might be getting myself involved with. The girl is Shauna. It's junior year of high school, physics with Janus. We flirt. She's a well-known flirter, so I don't take it personally, but it's still fun. She likes Less Than Jake. Suddenly I like Less Than Jake. This track becomes my favorite from the album I bought in Santa Cruz on vacation with my family. 

4. "My Own Summer (Shove It)" by the Deftones

Two distinct memories come up because of the Deftones. The first is my overall memory of Sara from Aroma Roasters, a coworker two years my senior, beautiful and complicated. A sibling-like relationship. I think of getting drunk with her at the dog park. When she was fired from Aromas. Working with her. I miss her all over again because of the Deftones. Alternatively, I also remember a few days after breaking up with Amy I got really upset for some reason and remedied the frustration by reading Jurassic Park for four hours while my entire Deftones collection played at high volume in my headphones on random. 

5. "Try Honesty" by Billy Talent

For some reason this makes me think of Garrett, from high school. Track team. Runner. Aggressive. He was the second friend I made at Placer. I remember feeling bad for him all the time. Anyway, this band makes me think of Garrett. I'm sure he turned out alright. 

6. "Drink the Water" by Jack Johnson

This was always my favorite Jack Johnson song, though I have no idea why.

7. "Come Around" by Collie Buddz

Carissa introduced me to this band. This was a song for pot smokers. It quickly became my favorite, too. Of course then I think about Carissa. The trip to the river. The biggest friendship I had outside of Bryce during my college years. Working together. Hanging out all the time. The pot. Guitar Hero. She's fantastic and I love her. I can't wait for the chance to go visit her again.

8. "Sunday" by Sia

This was another song I listened to a lot when I was high in college. Still good.

9. "Favorite Girl" by Joseph Arthur

Heartbreaking, wonderful song. This came out around my Alexi Murdoch / Nick Drake phase when I had a crush on Angelina and after work we'd hang out in her hippie room and light incense and smoke with Carlos and it would always be for one hour. I think about the trip to Bodega Bay, too. If I'd been any braver I would've been the one who dated her and not Colby. Wasn't meant to be. 

10. "Sic Transit Gloria ... Glory Fades" by Brand New

The first song I heard by the band which was soon to become my favorite. It's high school. I'm in the Neon with my mom but I'm not driving, and this song comes on the radio, I turn up the volume, and I say, "I want to find out who plays this song." End of memory. 

11. "Feel Good Inc." by Gorillaz

This just makes me think about college dorms, and Bryce, and college. So much college.

12. "Happy Alone" by Earlimart

First thing's first: this song makes the movie Humboldt County look like an Oscar-winning, life-altering epic drama about weed, friendship, family and the human condition. I expected to laugh, cry, and walk away with a new outlook on the universe. Because of all that hype, the movie was still pretty good, but it wasn't as fulfilling as I'd hoped. All that said, this powerful preconception was put in place by the use of "Happy Alone" by Earlimart in the trailer. That's good marketing. 

Alright. That's it for now.

Oh, and I posted the article about the Homeless Forum

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment