Saturday, October 2

The Day I Battled A Summer Cold And Asked Colleen If Guests Were Allowed At The Intern Appreciation Dinner After Waking Up Hungover From Last Night's Show At The Town-House

Town-House Stamp
An hour into my shift yesterday, Chris told me that he and his girlfriend, orange-haired Crystal, were in a band together and that they were having a show that night at around 10:00. With a closing shift to endure, I knew I'd be done in time to make it, and so plans were made. Based on what I know about these people, I figured they were some acoustic guitar duet, and maybe Crystal sang a little. 

Turns out they're part of a four-person band called Favors. 



Also turns out they're a freaking awesome techno rave band kind of like !!! meets Scissor Sisters. On top of that, this calm-as-a-cucumber customer named David (this tall, long-haired, lanky character) is the lead singer, and he really lets loose. I can tell he loves doing it. It was the nonchalant way he tossed free CD's into the crowd of raised hands. His girlfriend, Laura (equally tall and delicately lanky), was wonderfully happy to see her boyfriend perform and it was nice hanging out with her while the others were on stage. Crystal drumming like a champion with her big glasses and retro outfit, orange hair bouncing. Chris adding the electronic melody with a machine I can't comprehend. And Ben, another customer (also lanky), held the guitar between them and played behind David on the microphone. 

The crowd loved it. I loved it. I wasn't dancing so much as swaying and bobbing my head with my fourth Stella in hand and a surprised smile on my face. For whatever reason, a little drunk and tired, I decided to go home right after the show, but I wish I wouldv'e stayed a while longer to see what everyone else did with the night. Oh well, at least I went out. It was the first time I'd gone out like that since moving here, on my own at least. 

Didn't sleep all that much.

My body isn't very pleased with me. My immune system went on strike and left me with a minor cold all day. A summer cold. A little achy, a little runny nose, and a little cranky. But I did alright. Spent the morning putting more music on my netbook to play at work. Looked through old photos from high school on my computer while I waited for the music to transfer, and for the first time I realized how much I'd grown up since then, appearance-wise. In the mirror I see an adult, in those photos I see a kid. 

It's the facial hair. 

Found out that I don't work Monday, which I quickly told Aly via text, and tomorrow she comes back to the area and we're supposed to make plans for the day. My Intern Appreciation dinner from Sac Press is going to interfere, unfortunately... A movie is definitely possible. I'm thinking lunch and a walk around the Capitol would be nice, or maybe I should take her to an art gallery or something. Decisions, decisions... I'm constantly tripping out on the fact that I once shared a classroom with this girl and hardly said ten things to her at the time. Nowhere in the back of my mind did I expect this girl to be a returning character in my life. 

It's just crazy, really. It feels like God wasn't sure how to put a female character in my life, so he just flipped back through the screenplay to my childhood and picked one of of my past. 

Good move, God. Almost as crazy as putting David, Chris, Crystal, and Ben in a kick-ass electro-rock band, because I didn't see that coming, either. 


I also met this squirrel outside my window yesterday morning:






- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment