Saturday, October 30

The Day Of Disney On Ice

Had dinner with Mom and Loren at the Elephant Bar by the Arden Fair Mall. Afterward we went to see Disney On Ice at ARCO where Karen, my contact from the article I wrote about the show, put tickets away for me on will call. I'll take anything I get for free out of this internship. How else am I getting reimbursed for the time I've put in? Experience later, yeah, but I want some shit now, too. So of course I was going to go to Disney On Ice. It's a great show to see, goddamnit. 

Good seats. Five rows up from the ice, center view of the stage. Even had me on the "special list." The show was great. Intriguing to see how adult minds recreate Disney scenarios for children's minds. The skating was beautiful, the costumes were creative, and I thought it did a good job trying to leave the kids with a good message. A sort of "believe it enough and dreams can come true" feeling. 

Kept trying to put myself in the performers' shoes. They were almost all smiling, having what appeared to be a really good time out there. I tried to think of how fun it would be to be out there. As a character, playing along to a pre-recorded soundtrack, mouthing words, dancing and skating all at the same time. I thought about after parties. All these young people half-in costume in a hotel room where Peter Pan is taking shots off of the Little Mermaid's stomach and Timon smokes a joint with Pumba in the bathroom. 

Made my costume. It's just a burlap coffee-bean sack with holes for the arms and legs, not exactly a stretch of the imagination .

Loren was wearing makeup. She's as tall as my chin and only 12 years old. Incredible to watch her grow up, with her being born when I was 11. From a tiny little baby to this little pre-teenager with her style and her personality, her young brain still churning along as it absorbs all that's happening around it. I wonder what she thinks about me. I feel like she looks up to me. I feel loved. My mom's doing good, which is always good to know, and apparently my aunt is going through another spell of chaos, moving, again, to Portland to seek a new life elsewhere. It's been hard for them: my toddler cousins and Alison and Scotty. My grandma's fixed up the Truckee house and will start renting it to skiers soon. And that was the sum of current events from my mom's side of the family. Always nice to feel connected. But still, Loren was wearing makeup. That's just crazy talk.

- Left to Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment